Saturday, October 9, 2010

Up to my scuppers?

I'm not a big TV watcher. Have a few shows on DVD that I prefer to watch over and over again, but while traveling last summer, I finally watched an episode of Holmes on Homes. Even where I'm living, I kept hearing, "Don't you know who he is? He's from CANADA!"

Oh.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show and that night I learned what a scupper is - at least related to a home roof. Then I also learned it's actually a boating term. A "scupper" is a drain on a boat.

Which led to this fascinating bit of information - "If you're 'up to your scuppers' you're about to sink..."

It's been a busy time here at my desk. Lots of writing, not enough art, and general business taking up much of my day. There are moments I do indeed feel "up to my scuppers"!

But then that phrase makes me laugh out loud, and I return to the writing waiting for me.

And do it with a smile, too.

(Thanks, Uncle B.)

No comments: