Sunday, November 9, 2008

Standing in the rain

You know the old expression "It never rains but it pours"?

The life of a freelancer is a funny one. Sure, you get to choose your hours and focus your markets and have a load of other perks. But you're also bound to have some dry spells. And now and then you get caught in a deluge.

Part of the juggle is knowing how to manage the deluge when it happens. I have some wonderful and consistent markets that I've been privileged to work with for years. And I never turn them down unless I simply won't be around to write the assignment but - whew! - this month there seems to be some sort of conspiracy to swamp me with work. I'm learning time management in ways I've never fully appreciated before.

Of course, I'm grateful. It's still ironic though that while I'm hearing about tough economic times I'm only listening with half an ear as I'm typing towards yet another deadline. I've had some of my best financial months since the stock market started its slide. Oh, I'm sure I'll have dry spells again. And like most writers and artists, I've got plenty of projects waiting to keep me busy when it happens but for now it's back to work.

I hope your writing is rewarding this month, too.

No comments: